The VDV MapMaster 2.0 voice, data and video cablingtester from Platinum Tools has the added capability of length measurement, to go along with the continuity-testing, mapping and tone-generator functions available in the previous-generation tester. Available at a suggested retail price of $129.95, the VDV MapMaster 2.0 "is capable of identifying and mapping 19 locations at one time," said Platinum Tools' president and general manager Lee Sachs.
Length mode, the company explains, is used to measure the length of entire cables and pin-pairs, and allows for viewing and adjusting the length constant value for video, data and voice cables. The tester tests Cat 6, Cat 5e, Cat 5, Cat 4, Cat 3 and coaxial cables. It tests both unshielded and shielded twisted-pair cable constructions. "Video and data cables can be connected to their respective remotes at the same time to improve testing efficiency," Platinum Tools says. "Patch cables may be tested without removing the master remote from storage."
Weighing 9 ounces with dimensions of 6.4x2.8x1.4 inches, the VDV MapMaster 2.0 includes the following characteristics and capabilities.
- Measures the entire length of a cable or individual wire pairs
- 7-segment LCD screen with large icons
- Tone generator with selectable tone cadence and selectable pins carrying tone
- RJ master remote stores in bottom of case
- Ability to map 19 locations at one time
- Measurements recorded in meters or feet
- Tests and indicates pins with shorts, opens, reversals, miswires and split pairs
- Identifies correctly wired T568A/B and crossover/uplink with "Pass" icon
- Identifies correctly wired 6-pin telephone with "Pass" icon and identifies reverse-pinned wiring with "Rev"
- Voltage detection warning icon
- Auto power-off