The Core Bore Seal Firestop System from Unique Fire Stop Products is designed to cover, firestop, water- and smoke-seal abandoned or empty core holes in fire-rated concrete slabs. Core holes are often abandoned when sleeves or conduits in a concrete floor or fire barrier are removed.
“The Core Bore Firestop System saves installation time and money while meeting all building codes,” Unique Fire Stop Products explained when announcing the product. “It is made of high-grade steel plate [0.60] and an intumescent firestop muffin. It comes with everything needed to install it except the silicone firestop sealant, which is also available from Unique. In fact, UL testing just completed requires that a silicone firestop sealant be used with our new Bore Core System to guarantee AHJ approval.”
The Core Bore Seal is inserted into the core hole with a bead of silicone firestop sealant under the top plate and along the edge of the core hole. Standing on the octagon plate will seal the plate, creating a smoke and water seal. The top plate can then be covered by carpet. The system can be walked on, and is completely removable if the core hole needs to be reclaimed.
The system is available in half-inch increments from 1.5 to 6 inches. Unique Fire Stop Products offers the following step-by-step installation instructions, which do not require any tools.
- Apply a 3/8-inch bead of silicone firestop sealant under the Core Bore Seal plate where it makes contact with the floor or fire barrier.
- Clean the top edge of the core hole with a clean, damp cloth to remove all dirt and debris so a good seal can be made.
- Apply a 3/8-inch to ½-inch bead of silicone firestop sealant to the floor/wall where the Core Bore Seal will make contact.
- Be sure the “STOP” sign is up and carefully centered, then place the Core Bore Seal in the core hole. The nut holds the system together and is not removed during the installation process.
- Step on the Core Bore Seal, then wipe away excess sealant.
“Your system is approved when the inspector says it is,” Unique Fire Stop Products concludes. “Unique now has an email AHJ inspector form for installers to obtain pre-approval by the AHJ. The form is available on the Core Bore Seal product page on our website.”