Panduit launches Network Infrastructure Essentials curriculum
June 9, 2005 - The course is part of the Cisco Networking Academy Program.
Panduit (www.panduit.com) has introduced the Panduit Network Infrastructure Essentials (PNIE) course to provide hands-on training and new innovation for students interested in mastering a network's physical layer. The course replaces the existing Fundamentals of Voice and Data Cabling course in the Cisco Networking Academy Program globally, providing broader content along with a globally recognized certification upon successful completion.
The PNIE course delivers innovative network infrastructure solutions with real-world experience to prepare students for future certifications. The course aligns to the Panduit Authorized Installer (PAI) global certification and covers basic cable-installer knowledge, how to build and administer the physical layer of network infrastructure, and deeper understanding of the networking devices that this layer interconnects.
"The Panduit Network Infrastructure Essentials curriculum provides students with the foundation of knowledge required to bring together advanced networking solutions, including IP telephony and wireless networking," states Andrew Caveney, vice president of business development for Panduit. "Network Infrastructure Essentials students will be prepared to deploy these high-growth technologies in diverse environments around the world."
The PNIE course concentrates on physical layer design and installation practices that most impact networking professionals. It also explores the adoption of newer technologies such as industrial Ethernet and building automation. The educational experience is supplemented with lab exercises that prepare students for real-life situations. The course serves as a precursor for the IT Essentials and CCNA Curricula in the Cisco Networking Academy program.
"We are excited to roll out the new Panduit Network Infrastructure Essentials course at Cisco Networking Academies," says Gene Longo, senior manager of Cisco Networking Academy field operations. "By providing instruction in the most up-to-date practices in cabling, grounding, and physical-layer management, the course helps prepare students for opportunities in the networking field and is in line with our overall vision of delivering the highest standard of information technology education."
Graduates of the Panduit Network Infrastructure Essentials course will have the unique opportunity to validate their education through an optional exam, certifying graduates to work for more than 2,000 Panduit Certified Installers worldwide. In addition, it provides a valuable foundation for any IT position.
More information about the Cisco Networking Academy program is available by clicking here.
The PNIE Certificate of Course Completion includes an understanding of the following.
* Cabling industry and marketplace as well as U.S. and international standards and worldwide standards organizations
* Basic networking concepts and topologies, the OSI model, and the main functions of each model layer
* Signal transmission, basics of electrical and optical transmission theory, basic wireless systems theory, and the cause and effects of signal degradation
* Schematics of copper cabling in the form of twisted-pair and shielded twisted-pair, as well as the respective standards and coaxial schematics
* Fiber optics, using cabling, different modes of fiber optics, and implications of dispersion and attenuation
* Essential lab-safety principles and local, national, and international safety codes of conduct
* Cabling installation processes as well as rough-in, trim-out, and finish phases
* Physical-layer management vulnerability resulting from breaches in network security