BICSI refreshes Outside Plant Design Reference Manual (OSPDRM)
A new edition of BICSI’s Outside Plant Design Reference Manual (OSPDRM) has been released; the publication now includes new standards, codes, and best practices.
In addition to covering traditional infrastructure subjects such as cabling and pathways, the updated OSPDRM also covers items not typically found within interior design work, such as right-of-way, permitting and service restoration, notes BICSI. Written by OSP subject matter experts, the manual focuses on outside plant properties, with the detailed information contained applicable to all projects large and small.
Specifically, the 6th Edition of the OSPDRM includes updates and additional information on:
• Maintenance and restoration of OSP.
• Air-assisted cable installation for OSP cable runs.
• Additional excavation methods for direct-buried cable and pathways (i.e., vacuum, hydro-vac, and air nozzle).
• Aerial installation of all dielectric self-supporting cable (ADSS).
• The updated OM5 optical fiber cable type.
• Passive optical networks (PON).
• Changes resulting from the issuance of the 2017 edition of the NESC concerning clearances and grounding/bonding requirements.
• Radio frequency over glass (RFoG) specific to OSP fiber-optic installations.
• New storm loading requirements for aerial OSP design that includes the U.S. Warm Islands Zone per requirements in 2017 NESC.
• Project management information and geographic information systems (GIS).
More information on BICSI's OSPDRM, 6th edition, can be found here.
Search the Cabling Installation & Maintenance Buyer's Guide for companies, new products, press releases, and videos: