Communications test, monitoring and analytics experts EXFO (NASDAQ: EXFO) has introduced it new FIP-500 fiber inspection scope, designed to vastly improve multi-fiber connector testing in data centers and other telecom networks.
The FIP-500 is the fastest solution for such applications on the market, contends the company, "with a high level of automation and best-in-class optical design" for consistently delivering reliable and repeatable results. While built with multi-fiber push on (MPO) testing in mind, the FIP-500 supports both single and multi-fiber connector testing, notes EXFO.
As observed by the company:
The ability to quickly and easily inspect connectors has never been more important as operators transition to 5G mobility and 400/800 Gbps networking. Research [per the NTT-Advanced Technology/Lightcounting DC Report 2015] has shown that the #1 cause of network failures is contaminated connectors, and 80% of network operators reported having connector issues. With multi-fiber connectors, a single connector failure can cause major outages. Multi-fiber links typically used to carry high-speed traffic are particularly sensitive to bad connectors.
Key benefits of the FIP-500 MPO probe, as enumerated by EXFO, include:
- "Accurate and repeatable testing every time."
- "Fastest MPO inspection process on the market – less than 10 seconds for full inspection and saved results of an MPO-12 connector ."
- "Zero-button operation and automation for ease-of-use and time saving ."
- "Easiest tip replacement when switching between connector types or from single to multi-fiber (e.g. from LC single-fiber to MPO) with the quick connect mechanism."
- "Low cost of ownership thanks to default long reach tips, tip switching mechanism and level of automation that doesn't require training."
- "Cost-effective compared to current options. "
"Our goal in designing the FIP-500 was to solve pain points in increasingly high-speed networks," comments Stephane Chabot, EXFO's Vice President of Test and Measurement. "Connectors are the weakest point, especially in dense and high-speed traffic scenarios, where a dirty connector can lead to serious network problems. Yet, fast MPO connector testing has never been effective. Without the right tools, it can be understandably tempting to skip the inspection step, and then 'plug and pray.' Technicians need fast, accurate and convenient fiber endface testing for the many hundreds of thousands of multi-fiber connectors embedded in networks worldwide."
Learn more at www.exfo.com.