Spirent Communications (a href=http://www.spirent.com>www.spirent.com) has announced advances for testing 10 Gigabit Ethernet (10GbE) with its AX/4000 10GbE UniPHY test solution.
The solution implements 10GbE LAN and WAN, OC-192 Packet over SONET (PoS) and Layer 1 Bit Error Rate Test (BERT) on a single test module with routing emulation.
The delivery of the 10GbE UniPHY solution coincides with the increasing deployment of Gigabit Ethernet in the MAN and LAN space, which is driving a need for higher speed backbones to supply increased bandwidth. The new test module implements the current draft of the IEEE 802.3ae task force for the 10GBASE-LW and 10GBASE-LR PMDs. It will allow telecommunication equipment manufacturers and their customers, the service providers, to test conformance and performance as well as routing emulation for all major protocols, including BGP-4, MPLS, IS-IS and OSPF.
Additional benefits of the 10GbE UniPHY product include:
* The ability to test Ethernet to PoS internetworking at full line rate,
* Deep functional quality testing of network equipment for quality assurance,
* The ability for service providers to stress and commission high-speed solutions prior to deployment,
* Ease-of-use and rapid setup through intuitive, graphical user interface, and
* Sophisticated Layer 1 BERT.
The 10GbE UniPHY will enable network performance analysis by performing Layer 2 and Layer 3 testing at full wire rate for high-speed routers and switches. It also provides a single port interface for traffic generation, analysis and routing emulation over 10GbE LAN and WAN links. Applications for this solution include testing high speed core switches, and interworking between Ethernet and PoS or ATM networks using the other existing interfaces that run at OC-192.