Report: VoIP penetration strongest in government sector
Health care sector also a strong adopter, particularly of handsets.
Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) adoption rates are strongest in the government vertical according to survey data recently published by In-Stat. That survey revealed 48 percent of respondents from government institutions said VoIP is deployed in at least one location.
"Overall, integration is more critical than cost savings," said Norm Bogen, In-Stat research vice president. "However, cost is most critical in the education segment, while scalable features and capabilities are most important in the government segment."
In-Stat says its recent research also turned up the following data on VoIP.
- Verizon is the most-cited current broadband IP telephony provider among government institutions and has a strong market-share lead over other providers.
- AT&T leads as IP Centrex solution provider across size-of-business and vertical markets.
- The IP PBX market is led by Cisco across the board, and particularly in education.
- The health care vertical is the strongest adopter of IP handsets.
- The government and healthcare segments significantly outpaced other segments in adopting hosted IP Centrex.
More detail is available in the report Business VoIP Overview by Vertical Industry, which sells for $3,495.