STL on Sept. 22 announced the launch of the Accellus platform, billed as the company's new "flagship solution for 5G-ready, open and programmable networks." The company contends the new product line "elevates STL’s position as a disruptive solution provider for Access and Edge networks."
Over the past 5 years, STL notes it has been investing in R&D to expand its capabilities in converged networks based on optical fiber broadband and Open Radio Access Network (Open RAN) technology.
As noted by a company statement, "As data demand rises and advanced use cases of IoT, AI, and immersive experiences emerge, digital networks need to deliver ultra-high bandwidth, low latency and intelligence at the edge. Open RAN enables this massive evolution cost-effectively."
STL’s Accellus platform is built on the company's converged optical-radio architecture. The company expects global adoption of the new platform to "accelerate" at a rate of 250% YOY, driving better TCO for customers and gross margins for shareholders.
As reckoned by STL, "Accellus will enable four core benefits for network creators - scalable & agile operations, faster time-to-market, lower TCO and greener networks."
The company further contends that the Accellus platform "will lead the industry’s transition from tightly integrated, proprietary products to vendor-neutral and programmable converged wireless and fiber network solutions."
Wireless and fiber-based converged solutions in the scope of the Accellus platform, per STL, include:
- 5G multi-band radios: Comprehensive Open RAN radio portfolio with single-and multi-band macro radios. Co-developed in partnership with Facebook Connectivityto build general availability for Open RAN-based radios
- Indoor small cells: O-RAN compliant, highly power-efficient indoor 5G small cell solution, with level 1 processing at the edge
- Wi-Fi 6 Access Solutions: Outdoor Wi-Fi 6 radio solutions providing carrier-class public connectivity in dense environments
- RAN Intelligent Controller (RIC): Operating system for Open RAN 5G that allows the Open RAN ecosystem to use third-party apps for operational improvement and cost-savings
- Programmable FTTx (pFTTx): Comprehensive solution that brings programmability and software-defined networking to large scale FTTH, business, & cell site (FTTx) networks
Commenting on the launch of Accellus, Philip Laidler, Partner and Consulting Director, STL Partners, observed: “One of the goals of O-RAN alliance was to broaden the RAN ecosystem and encourage innovation from a wider base of technology firms globally. STL’s recent announcement is the latest indication that this goal is being met.”
Commenting on the launch of Accellus, Chris Rice, CEO, Access Solutions, STL, said: “Disaggregated 5G and FTTx networks based on open standards are increasingly prevalent for both greenfield & brownfield rollouts. These networks will require unprecedented scalability & agility, possible through an open and programmable architecture. STL’s Accelluswill unlock business opportunities for our customers and deliver immersive digital experiences globally.”
STL bills itself as an "integrator of digital networks that helps telcos, cloud companies, citizen networks, and large enterprises deliver enhanced experiences to their customers." Visit www.stl.tech.