LAS VEGAS -- After pioneering a new concept in the design of cable pulling adapters earlier this year with the debut of its initial PulR tool, designed to solve the problem of small-conduit FTTx patch cord pulls (specifically, pulling bend insensitive, self bend limiting 4.8 mm SC fiber-optic patch cords), PulR Technologies Inc. is now celebrating the wider expansion of its product line with a cable pulling grip technology that is brand new to the industry, dubbed HelicalGrip, billed as capable of pulling with 3x the force of the tools' intial version.
Speaking from the floor of the BICSI Fall Conference 2022 where his company unveiled the new adapters, and with freshly received Silver Cabling Innovators honors to his credit, Francois Menard, founder of PulR Technologies and the tools' inventor, explained:
"The big news is that PulR is no longer just about pulling pre-terminated cables, as with our newest invention, which we call the HelicalGrip, we now have many new products for pulling on bare cables as well.
This spring, we invented the concept of cable pulling adapters, but it was only for pre-terminated cables. They were based on the longitudinal re-entrant clamp. Six months later, we invented the HelicalGrip. We’ve been busy this summer preparing our formal product launch, which we targeted for BICSI Fall 2022.
It is the first really new invention in 95 years since Edgar and Vivien Kellems invented the endless woven grip in 1927. A lot of people came to our booth yesterday, and everybody said, this is new, never seen something like this, etc. Lots of encouraging messages. Lots of sign-ups for trial kits. Very amazing feedback."
Menard emphasized the development of the HelicalGrip technology has enabled his company to become a supplier of pulling tools, not only for pre-terminated cables, but also for unterminated cables, via the developed concept of an inline cable pulling adapter which can be mounted anywhere on the cable.
The development of the HelicalGrip technology was the impetus for the launch of the PulR Helipuller Inline series, which makes it possible to significantly increase the speed of deploying wires in MDUs and commercial buildings.
The Helipuller Inline allows both centralized and distributed cascade pulls, only requiring multiple instances of the same tool, in a daisy chain configuration, while enabling a common pull rope and/or local aramid yarn attachment for fiber-optic cables.
The Helipuller Inline products are available for both CatX and fiber-optic cables. The Helipuller Inline for 2.9 mm fiber-optic cables is very small measuring only 78 mm long and 7 mm in diameter. It is designed to enable pulling as many as 6 cables of 2.9 mm through half-inch diameter PVC electrical 90 degree bends which are very sharp.
The below video illustrates how CatX cables are attached to the HelicalGrip to form a cascade pull, and how six Cat6 cables in such a cascade configuration can be pulled in a 3/4” conduit.
"Since the time we evaluated Pul-R as a participant in our Cabling Innovators Awards program, its developer Francois Menard has continued to innovate, developing products for a number of cable types based on the HelicalGrip technology. We believe cable installers, project specifiers, and cable-plant owners all can benefit from understanding the tool’s value proposition. We’re grateful Pul-R participated in our 2022 Cabling Innovators Awards program, and are optimistic this is just the beginning for Pul-R."
-- Patrick McLaughlin, Chief Editor, Cabling Installation & Maintenance
Concurrent with this year's BICSI Fall Conference, 7 new Helipuller products, all featuring the PulR HelicalGrip technology, have been launched. They are as follows:
- The Helipuller 4.8 mm SC Slim, which enables pulling SC-connectorized pre-terminated FTTx cables in 3/8” diameter holes or conduits by removing the outer body and placing it back after the pull. Also works with LC pre-terminated cables and pre-terminated cables of smaller diameter.
- The Helipuller 4.8 mm SC Rugged which enables pulling SC-connectorized pre-terminated FTTx cables in 1/2” diameter holes or conduits. Also works with LC pre-terminated cables and pre-terminated cables of smaller diameter.
- The Helipuller Inline for FTTx MDU Fiber Optic Cables for 2.9 mm Cables, which enables FTTx bare cable installations inside multi-dwelling and commercial buildings, supporting centralized and distributed cable pulls of n cables with n-1 tools.
- The Helipuller Inline for FTTx MDU Fiber Optic Cables for both 3 mm and 4.8 mm Cables with concurrent Aramid attach and common pull rope. Enables FTTx bare cable installations inside multi-dwelling and commercial buildings, supporting centralized and distributed cable pulls of n cables with n-1 tools.
- The Helipuller RJ-45 which makes it possible to pull in 3/4” holes or conduits, field-terminated cables in the presence of RJ-45 connectors. It also makes it possible to pull pre-terminated patch cables with injection molded boots. Smaller diameter cables can also be pulled with this tool.
- The Helipuller for 6 mm Cables which makes it possible to pull 6 mm cables, CatX or any other cable, such as audio, coax, electrical, etc. Smaller diameter cables can also be pulled with this tool.
- The Helipuller Inline for 6 mm Cables with common pull rope, supporting centralized and distributed cable pulls of n cables with n-1 tools. It works with CatX or any other <= 6 mm cable, such as audio, coax, electrical, etc. Smaller diameter cables can also be pulled with this tool.
As further explained by Menard:
"We have revamped our entire product line up and are now focused on the delivery of ultra-affordable Helipuller tools with the superior grip that our HelicalGrip provides. Our first generation grip is now being promoted for ultra-low-cost OEM applications where PulR’s would be shipping pre-mounted on pre-terminated patch cables, in their bags. We have been busy running a lot of field testing and have demonstrated that the HelicalGrip is non-service affecting for G.657 optical fiber and CatX."