On Monday, June 6 the Telecommunications Industry Association (TIA) will host a day-long workshop titled Cabling Infrastructure: A Look Ahead. Held as part of the TIA’s Network of the Future conference and exhibition, the Cabling Infrastructure: A Look Ahead workshop will take place at the Renaissance Hotel, Dallas.
“This full-day program invites the audience to interact and share knowledge with the companies and volunteers who are establishing the cabling industry norms for installation in the network,” TIA said in its description of the one-day workshop. “The day begins with the vision of ICT [information and communications technology] inside wiring driven from the TIA-568 standards, and moves through the data center, to DAS, emerging media, security and a final interactive session addressing the cabling needs of next-generation networks. Enjoy a keynote luncheon addressing smart cities’ vision for the changes and challenges of bringing them to the future.
“The speakers and panelists of the program are the people who build these standards and are experts in their field,” TIA explained. “Audience members will have a unique opportunity to engage with them and ask detailed questions about the advances of the standards and what is coming in the next revisions.”
Attendees will receive 6 continuing education credits toward BICSI’s professional credentials. The fee to attend the workshop is $250 for TIA members or $300 for non-members. The one-day pass provides access to the Monday luncheon and reception, as well as the cybersecurity-themed breakfast and morning keynotes that will take place on Tuesday morning, June 7.
The agenda for Cabling Infrastructure: A Look Ahead is as follows.
- 9:00am—Welcome and Introduction by Stephanie Montgomery, vice president of technology and standards with TIA
- 9:15-9:45am—ICT Inside Wiring: Vision delivered by Ray Emplit (pictured), engineering manager, Harger Inc. (Emplit is chair of TIA’s TR-42 Engineering Committee.)
- 10:20-10:50am—The Data Center Today: Standardization, Cybersecurity and More delivered by Nicholas Gagnon, business development manager, EXFO
- 10:50-11:20am—Wireless Infrastructure: DAS and Wireless Access Points delivered by Masood Shariff, senior engineer principal with CommScope
- 11:30am-1:00pm—Luncheon Keynote: Smart Cities sponsored by Panasonic
- 1:00-2:00pm—The Relationship Between TIA and IEEE Standards for the Next-Generation Network: A Call for International Standardization delivered by Robert Reid, senior product development manager with Panduit
- 2:00-3:00—Emerging Media and Connectivity for the Network of the Future delivered by Ray Emplit, Harger Inc.
- 2:45-3:15pm—Remote Powering (EG, PoE) delivered by Henry Franc, national solution specialist with Belden
- 3:15-3:45pm—Physical Network Security: Requirements, Guidelines, and Best Practices delivered by Masood Shariff, CommScope
- 4:00-5:00pm—Next-Generation Cabling: Copper or Fiber, or Both? Panel including Ray Emplit, Henry Franc, Robert Reid and Masood Shariff
- 5:00-6:00pm—TIA 2016 Opening Reception