The new Belden SPE portfolio includes:
- IP20-rated PCB jack, patch cords and cordsets for clean-area connections.
- IP65/IP67-rated circular M8/M12 patch cords, cordsets and receptacles for reliable field device industrial Ethernet connections.
The products are designed to optimize Ethernet connection possibilities in harsh environments, including industrial and transportation operations.
For industrial applications, the company contends the new product line "creates the foundation for real-time communications between all devices on the network, the enterprise backbone and the cloud to improve process efficiency and reduce operational costs."
Future-proof rugged innovation
As stated by the company, the Belden SPE portfolio of connectivity products provide the following key benefits:
- Future-proof innovation: Ethernet-based, the simplified network topology enables seamless connectivity from sensors to the cloud; gateways become optional.
- High-performance bandwidth support: Up to 10Gbits/s.
- Rugged protection from harsh environmental conditions: IP65/67 design protects against mechanical shock, vibration, dust, chemicals and temperature extremes; suitable for M3I3C3E3 environments.
- A compact, lightweight design: Increased flexibility and bending ratios make the cordsets easy to commission and overcome tight space constraints.
- Built for sustainability: Manufactured with 55% less metal and plastic than popular Ethernet cordsets, resulting in improved carbon footprint and ESG Rating without sacrificing performance; IEC 63171-6, Lead-free RoHS compliant.
Chen Zhang, product manager at Belden, remarked:
"The communication network plays an increasingly important role in both Industry 4.0 and modern transportation applications. In both areas, it's critical for real-time data from connected field devices to be monitored, seamlessly shared and analyzed simultaneously to ensure the optimal performance of the operation. Our SPE product portfolio ensures reliable connectivity and gives customers a future-forward solution for mission-critical industrial applications and radical new transportation applications."
One-stop shop SPE connectivity
As Industry 4.0 evolves and the number of sensors and actuators in automated production cells that connect to the factory backbone grows, the company calls its new SPE product portfolio "the simple, affordable solution to further enable predictive maintenance, digital twins and more."
In a press release, Belden billed its new SPE portfolio as a one-stop shop of connectivity products that are compact and durable, and provide comprehensive network connectivity coverage for applications including:
- Machine building
- Automotive manufacturing
- Food and beverage manufacturing
- Mass transit systems
- Traffic control/systems
- Railway, train stations, and rail-rolling stock
For transportation applications, Belden notes its SPE products offer a 30% improvement on bend ratio and a 30% smaller outer diameter than alternative platforms, alleviating issues caused by tight spaces between vehicle bodies.
In addition, the company maintains the new products simplify cabling to improve customer experience with a greater range of connectivity options, and can reduce the weight added by existing connectivity products by nearly half.